For those of you not on Facebook, my dad had surprise quadruple bypass heart surgery last night.  It’s been a long week with lots of things going on, so there will be several posts, I’m sure.  I’m still pretty shaken up about my dad.  If you ever want to know how I feel about my father, you can read this post I wrote a couple of years ago.  Needless to say, I’m a Daddy’s girl.

On Wednesday evening, as The Nerd and I are headed down to his parents’ house, I get a phone call from my older sister.  She told me that our step-mother (we’ve had plenty of run-ins with her) had called her husband and told him that our dad had been in the hospital since Monday and might be having surgery on Friday.  To which I said, “WHAT THE FUCK?”  At this point, I was terrified and completely pissed off that he’d been in the hospital for three days and no one had bothered to call any of his children.  I also wondered why it had been my brother-in-law who got the call rather than my sister.

So, trying to figure out just what was going on, I called my dad’s sister thinking she may have more information.  She hadn’t heard anything, either, but quickly called my uncle who lives close to dad.  Again, he hadn’t gotten any calls.  No one could understand why my step-mother hadn’t called anyone to let them know what was happening, and my uncle was pissed, to put it mildly.  By late Wednesday night, we were able to piece things together somewhat.  My sister and uncle were at the hospital, and she called after they’d talked to my step-mother and dad. 

On Monday, Dad left work early because he was short of breath and having chest pains and went to the small emergency room nearby.  They told him they needed to operate, but he said he didn’t want to do it there, and signed out against doctor’s orders.  Then proceeded to go home and make an appointment with a holistic doctor.  On Tuesday, their air conditioner went out at home, so Dad, being a heating and air man, went outside, in Houston, in the summer, to fix it.  No surprise, he started feeling bad again.  On Wednesday, he went to see the doctor and was given a stress test.  Well, they decided to keep him and told him they needed to operate.  He had a 100% blockage in one artery, 80% in another, and blockage in at least one other.  My step-mother still didn’t want him to have surgery, and my aunt and uncle were worried about the hospital he was at.  Houston has great hospitals, some of the best in the country, but Dad wasn’t at one of those great hospitals.  They did research on the doctor, though, and he checked out.  My sisters and I were really afraid that Dad would listen to his wife and not have surgery, but our uncle convinced him that he needed to do it.

So on Thursday, we were told that surgery was scheduled for Friday morning.  I was able to talk to Dad in the morning, and felt better after hearing how good he sounded.  We were also at The Nerd’s parents’ house by now and I was freaking out that I wasn’t there in Houston.  By that night, my sister was telling me that they decided not to do the surgery until Monday.  So, The Nerd and I weighed the options.  I could stay put and see how things went, or I could go down to Texas and stay at the hospital until he was safe.  That night, I wanted nothing more than to be there next to Dad, willing him to be okay, making sure he knew just how much I loved him.  I had slept a total of about three hours in the last two days, I was exhausted and I was scared.  What would I do without my Daddy?  Could I ever forgive myself if I didn’t make it there and something happened during surgery?  I cried all over The Nerd, and he kept telling me we’d do whatever I needed to do, he’d get me there if that’s what I wanted.

Yesterday morning, after talking to both Dad and my mom, I decided I should stay put.  The boys were still at camp, and with them possibly leaving for Alaska for a month soon, I didn’t want to be away from them.  Plus, I’ve been sick with a cold, and they wouldn’t even let me in to see my dad that way.  Dad told me to come when he’s out of the hospital and could see me.  I still wanted to go, but I knew they were right.  Then, I got a call that they’d changed the surgery again from Monday back to Friday (yesterday), and even talked to Dad again before he went in.  Again, he told me to just wait, he’d be okay.  He went back into the operating room at about 6 pm and wasn’t stable until 12:30 am.  When they tried to bring him out of the anesthesia, he got violent (completely unlike him), so they kept him sedated longer than planned.  My sister texted about an hour ago and said they’d finally taken the breathing tubes out and he was awake and doing well.  Even though I know he’s not completely out of the woods, I’m feeling relieved.

To all of you who sent prayers and good thoughts and mojo out after I posted on Facebook, thank you, thank you, thank you.  I wish I’d had my computer with me to write about all of this as it was happening.  The Nerd was great, and I was glad that he was there with me when I got the first call.  I’ll keep you posted, and will also be back soon to write about meeting The Nerd’s parents.

12 Responses to “Crisis”

  1. 1 Karen June 12, 2010 at 11:11 pm

    I have been thinking about you and your dad all day. I am glad he is doing well. Someone needs to smack your step-mom. There is no excuse that y’all didn’t know dad was in the hospital sooner.

  2. 2 Evil Twin's Wife June 13, 2010 at 9:00 am

    I didn’t see this on FB. I’m so sorry! My dad had 2 triples (18 years apart) and recovered great after both, so I’m sending prayers and good vibes to your dad, and look forward to hearing about his recovery. These days, they really have excellent techniques for bypasses and patients recover much faster. Your step mom sounds like a beyotch…I can’t believe she didn’t call and tried to talk him out of the surgery. Ugh!

  3. 3 mumma boo June 13, 2010 at 9:34 am

    Glad to hear the surgery went well and that he’s stable. Sending healing thoughts to your dad, hugs to you, and several mental bitch-slaps to your step-mom. Unbelievable. So glad that you had the Nerd to lean on during this crisis, too. What a good guy! Stay positive, sweetie. (((HUGS)))

  4. 4 The Dish June 13, 2010 at 3:02 pm

    So glad the surgery went well, and ETW is right. They have that procedure down to an art form.

    Your step-mom needs to be bitch slapped and dad needs to tell her to never keep y’all out of the loop again OR ELSE!

    Love to you, Ging!

  5. 5 Ron June 14, 2010 at 8:42 am

    I’m with most everyone here, go see your dad when he’s out of the hospital and then severely bitch slap the step-mom.

  6. 6 Sarcastic Bastard June 14, 2010 at 11:06 am

    I’ll keep a good thought for your dad.

    Love you,


  7. 7 Ms. Moon June 14, 2010 at 1:16 pm

    I hope he continues to do better and better. Yes. Keep us posted.

  8. 8 dadshouse June 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm

    Wow, I hope your dad has a full and speedy recovery. Very scary. And frustrating for you to not be in the know.

  9. 9 vinomom June 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm

    Hey, sorry I’m just reading about this. I hope everything is still going well and your dad is up and around very soon. My thoughts are with you!

  10. 10 Aunt Becky June 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm

    Sending love and light. My dad has had a heart attack and subsequent surgery as well and it’s freaking SCARY. Lots of love and prayers.


  11. 11 amy d June 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm

    So sorry to hear your Dad is in the hospital. Praying he is up and around again as soon as possible. Hugs to you darlin’!

  12. 12 Ginger Magnolia June 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm

    Thanks for the support, guys. Love to you all!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: