Tornado of Activity

Disclaimer:  When you haven’t had a chance to write for a week, things pile up and it turns into a long post.

Last week?  I do believe was the longest, roughest weeks I’ve had in a very long time.

What with a huge project to make up, mock up, and present to the 8th graders on Friday, wrestling matches, one sick boy, and two long-since-planned nights out, I was swamped.  I was flat out exhausted by Wednesday, which is usually kind of my day to recoup from Monday and Tuesday.  Not so last week.  Even though the only engagement I had on campus that day was my mentor study group, I was there from 9-4, working on the project for the 8th graders.  My partner?  She had done some work, but most of what she’d given me were things that she’d found online, cut and pasted, and printed off.  She had assured me that she’d make an example book to show the students what we wanted turned in, so I was re-working the outline and step-by-step guide for them to keep.  I also had to spend a little bit of time working on a different project for another class (gotta love group work, eh?), so was in a computer lab for most of the day.  Then came home and worked some more until 11:30 pm.  I didn’t even have time to read. 

By Thursday, I was ready to choke my partner.  After I’d spent all that time working on what we’d agreed upon, she wanted to change “just a few things” before Friday.  It was hard not to come unhinged as she also told me that she hadn’t had time to make the book.  I finally told her that there was no way we could change everything, since I had class till four, then wrestling, then I was going to do something that had been planned for months and wouldn’t be home until Friday morning.  I told her I’d work on the book and have it to the teacher by Tuesday, but was NOT going to do any work on it that day or night.  Seemed to work, she didn’t bother me anymore that day.  Thursday night was great.  The Nerd/Dex (see, I listened, Lola!) and I met up with some of my friends from school and some of his friends from work at our favorite joint to listen to one of his friends play music.  This guy always puts on a great show, and usually calls up other area musicians to play with him.  It turns out, some guy from our program (I didn’t know him, but some of my friends did) got up and started playing reggae music.  He was amazing!  The only dark spot on the night was knowing that I’d have to be up at 5, so we couldn’t stay out as long as we wanted to.

Friday morning, Big J told me he was too sick to go to school.  My boys have been sicker this winter than they’ve ever been any other year.  Since I had to actually get up in front of the 8th graders to explain their biography project, I had to leave him home alone for a few hours.  I made it to the school a little early to make copies and transperencies and was feeling pretty confident.  I was to do my spiel after my partner gave hers.  Her portion took up a great deal of the time we had alloted, so I felt a little rushed, but it went pretty well.  They actually asked questions and didn’t just stonewall me, so that made me happy.  I think most of them were pretty excited to learn about their chosen person, which didn’t hurt, either.  Right after our lesson, we were called down to attend the Black History Month program.  It was very well done, and three of our students were participants who played African kings or queens.  They had the gospel choir from one of the high schools come in and sing, and oh my was it glorious.  Once it was over, we all headed over to the computer lab to begin their research.  I am happy to report that most of them got right down to work filling out their outlines.  They seemed to be enjoying it, and that is a great reward.  This week, they’ll be doing a little more research and then putting everything together.  I can’t wait to see their presentations next Friday!

I had been looking forward to Saturday, but after Big J began running a fever, I knew I had to take him in to the doctor’s office, which meant half the day would be spent driving, waiting, getting prescriptions, and driving home.  I could tell my mom needed some space anyway, so the boys and I packed up early and headed toward the tiny town our doctor is in.  By the time we got done (he was diagnosed with bronchitis and sinus infection), it was almost noon, and we ended up browsing the pharmacy and their old-timey Wal-Mart.  I swear, I saw a box of hair dye remover from the 80’s, and a bottle of Navy perfume.  Remember that stuff?  I haven’t seen that since I was in jr. high school!  Going to that place was like being in a time warp.  Once we were done in town and had all medications, we headed back to town for game night with The Nerd/Dex.  Little J had a new game to try out, some Japanese version of chess, and Big J had just bought a new poker set.  Despite my children’s astuteness at strategy and card games, I totally suck at them.  I’m more a fan of trivia and word games, but I’m outnumbered!  We had a good time, though, and The Nerd/Dex taught Big J a new game and helped me finish my math work.  Le sigh.

Yesterday was spent trying to keep the boys out of my mother’s hair and finishing the book for the 8th graders.  I also finished one of my lit books and started a paper.  In other words, pretty productive but no fun.  OH YEAH!  I almost forgot!  I also found out last week that I made the Dean’s List for the fall semester, which made all the hard work and stress I had to struggle through last semester paid off.  Then, I got an email telling me that I’d won early admission into the Avett Brothers concert we’re going to this weekend.  Because the venue is general admission, this means we’ll be able to get in and find a good spot without having to wait out in the cold/snow/freezing rain for hours.  SCORE!  Finally, Big J came home from school with his schedule for next year, and it said that he was in the magnet engineering program we applied for.  Happy day!  His father’s response?  “Sweet.”  Scumbag!  This is a very big deal for Big J!

So, I started this week extremely tired, and with a teenager still home sick.  I got my paper finished, and don’t have any huge projects this week, so I’m hoping for a (sort-of at least) quiet week.  I am so looking forward to the weekend, though.  The Nerd/Dex and I are headed down to Indianapolis Saturday, doing some Indy stuff, staying in a nice hotel, then the concert is on Sunday, then headed back home afterward.  We’re going to be exhausted come Monday, but damn, it’s going to be worth it.  Considering I bought the tickets way back in September, I’ve been looking forward to it for a very long time!

*Deep breath.* 

Now, tell me something good that’s happened in your world lately!

9 Responses to “Tornado of Activity”

  1. 1 Ms. Moon February 22, 2010 at 9:56 pm

    All of that and all I can think of is- I WANT TO SPEND THE NIGHT IN A NICE HOTEL!
    After my play is over I am going to try and talk Mr. Moon into taking me away for a day or two. Ah- girl- you deserve some down-time.

  2. 2 The Dish February 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm

    I love Indy and hope you have a blast this weekend. Like I have siad before, dang girl, you are busy! Congrats to you on The Dean’s List and congrats to Big J! Hope he feels better too, BTW.

    Good news from me? I had a great weekend. The Vagina Monologues was amazing. I have the best spouse ever. And I am no longer hungover! 😉

  3. 3 vinomom February 22, 2010 at 11:38 pm

    Wow girl that is a lot! I saw your post of FB but congrats again on making the deans list! That is a great accomplishment that you should be proud of!

    Hope Big J is feeling all better and you have a great time at the concert.

  4. 4 Evil Twin's Wife February 23, 2010 at 10:35 am

    WTG on the Dean’s list! Sending get well vibes for Big J… Have a great weekend. You deserve it!

  5. 5 Karen February 23, 2010 at 12:03 pm

    Hope Big J feels better soon. Glad you have no looming deadlines this week. A little time for relaxation!

  6. 6 amy d February 23, 2010 at 3:06 pm

    Ohhhh! That does look like a nice hotel!
    Please tell The Nerd I’m sorry if I offended him with my anti-colts rhetoric;) Ya’ll have fun in Indie!!!

    Congrats to you and Big J too!

  7. 7 amy d February 23, 2010 at 3:08 pm

    Ohhhh! That does look like a nice hotel!
    Please tell The Nerd I’m sorry if I offended him with my anti-colts rhetoric;) Ya’ll have fun in Indy!!!

    Congrats to you and Big J too!

  8. 8 mumma boo February 23, 2010 at 10:24 pm

    Congrats on the Dean’s List, woman! You rock! And congrats to Big J on the engineering school. That’s awesome! Now, get some rest and enjoy yourself this coming weekend! You deserve it!

  9. 9 Ginger Magnolia February 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm

    Ms. Moon – You should, you should!

    Dish – I’ve never really spent any time in Indy, so I’m looking forward to it. I just wish it wasn’t so darn cold!

    Vino – Thanks, babe!

    ETW – He’s all better now. 🙂

    Karen – This weekend was infinitely better than last.

    Amy – Haha, no offense at all. I showed him the pics, and he was teasing.

    Mumma Boo – Thanks, I plan to!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: